Monday, December 19, 2011

Frightful Weekend

So I am going to try to breeze through this.

I watched Fright Night - which is pretty good. I liked it. It was one of those scary movies that was just a little to far past believability. Colin Farrell was fantastic - you could tell he loved his part. And personally, I would have PAID to be one of his victims. You could see Doris, the first victim, smile as he licked the blood from her chest to her neck. She was trying to hide it with a grimace, but she couldn't completely keep the smile from her face. I do not blame her at all. Lucky Doris. I like that this vamp movie makes vampires scary again - not like fluffy house pets. BTW, what is with Anton Yelchin (cutie little Russian) always playing a character named Charlie B.



I also watched Sarah's Key - it was a weekend for Christmas spirit..not! It was a good movie about a little girl that locks her brother in the closet so as to not be found by the police rounding up the Jews. They end up being taken away - for a long time. She escapes and manages to get back to her house - only to find, well, you can imagine what they found in the closet after several weeks of him being in there. The story is unraveled by a journalist who finds out about the Jewish family that lived in the home her family just moved into (the building has been in the family since they moved into it during the war). It was nice to hear all the French dialogue in the movie.


I listened to The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne this weekend as well - see, I told you it was a weekend full of Christmas cheer! I watched this movie by myself in the palace in Scotland. It ripped my heart out. The book did the same - the movie was really similar to the book. The story is about a 9 year old boy who's father gets put in charge of Auschwitz. They move next to the camp, and despite being forbidden to go exploring, he does. While exploring, he finds a friend. He talks to the little boy on the other side of the fence and they become best friends. Bruno, the small German boy, is very confused by the people on the other side of the fence. On the last day before he leaves to head back to Berlin, he decides to go exploring a bit further.

No comments:

Post a Comment