Monday, June 11, 2012

Potato Peel Pie

Wow. I have sticker shock, but not so much buyers remorse. One shopping trip, 3 essential items, and $211 later. Yikes! But it was nice to get something really nice and comfortable for once.

Anyways, on to books (the thing I really like to spend my money on). I recently read The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. The book is written in the form of letters and telegrams and gives the point of view from all characters' perspectives. Juliet, a single 30 something-year-old writer, gets a letter from a man named Dawsy. He lives on the island of Guernsey and happened upon a book that used to be hers. The book was a favorite for Dawsy and he asks Juliet if she knows where he can get more books by the author Charles Lamb. This brings Juliet into the post war-occupied lives of a colorful cast of islanders that formed a literary society during the occupation. There are twists and turns, love and heart ache, and lots of new best friends to be made.

This book was so fantastic, I couldn't put it down. It only took my about 2 days to finish the book. I stayed up extra late on a work night for the fact that I couldn't stop the story. It had taken over my life and I had to finish no matter what. I only stopped reading long enough to watch Braun hit, that is how much I was enjoying it. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

1 comment:

  1. Now I'm hungry & wanting to do nothing but sit down to read...Love you!

    ReplyDelete