Sunday, March 20, 2016

Lazy Day Cinema Splurge

I had kind of a slug day yesterday.  On Friday I was feeling dizzy and nauseous.  I also took my temperature and it was 96.2!  I crawled under the covers and went back to bed.  So Saturday, between making sure my puppies got walks and cuddles, I mostly plopped in front of the television and watched some movies.  I rented Suffragette, Spectre, and The Intern. 

Suffragette was really good.  I liked that it told the story of Emily Davison without making the movie about her.  I remember first learning about how they used to force feed the women prisoners on hunger strikes.  I was in college, and my imagination is very vivid.  When my professor was describing this, I kind of giggled.  He was like - are you a sadist?  No, I'm just trying to imagine someone trying to force-feed a pissed off suffragette. This movie definitely made me take back my scoff.  That scene was brutal to witness.  That scene was also when I knew this film would break-away and tell the story of Emily Davison (my clue: we can't give them a martyr for their cause).  I knew of Emily Davison and was excited to see this movie discuss her story.  I have often wondered how modern culture might view her: martyr or terrorist?  I think now days, everything is so easily labeled terrorist.  Most of their actions were civil disobedience and property/wealth destruction.  This is just a good movie that covers this topic in a very intelligent way.  Plus, if you had no clue about Emily Davison before this film, I'm sure Google helped you out afterwards. 

 

Spectre was a Bond movie.  It was action and romance titilating.  Swoon worthy Daniel Craig plays 007 to a T.  He's my favorite bond. I think he brings a different element to Bond.  Not just a womanizing spy, but also a man with emotions and duty.  I actually fell asleep a couple times and awoke at a confusing scene with drilling.  I had to rewind a bit and then re-watch. It was good and I almost feel like they closed the Bond saga.  Who knows, they may resurrect him again, but I hope he chooses love this time...and is allowed to keep it!
Plus.  I think I'm in love with the fact that Daniel Craig is married to Rachel Weiss (I adore her).  That may be why he ranks as my favorite Bond.  Althought I do love Timothy Dalton too. :)

The Intern was such a cute movie.  Anne Hathaway is always a favorite.  This was both female and senior citizen empowering. Love and work drive us.  And we need to have something keeping us busy.  Robert DeNiro did such a good job in this role.  The young owner/creator of a growing online clothing company (Anne) gets some help and persceptive on life from a senior citizen intern.  It was motivating to see Robert DeNiro support his female boss and really be a "he for she" kind of guy.  He supported her business and her running it.  He gave her life advice and business advice.  It was a wrapped in a pretty bow ending.  Happy ending, just what you wanted.  It had me tearing up a bit at some points.  But it was a great message.

No comments:

Post a Comment