Sunday, September 16, 2012

Bars, Pooches, and The Hunger Games

Well crap, I get Internet and then it goes and shuts down just as I hit the write button.  I guess that is what I have notepad to type away in while my Internet figures out what it wants to do and maybe, just maybe, reconnect!  We can hope!

So, it has been a while, but I will honestly make an attempt at writing every day this week.  I won't make future promises or grand sweeping ones that encompass forever; I'll just start with this week.  I have some catching up to do!  I went to a friend's gig this Friday night down in Whitewater.  I definitely see that I missed a lot of culture by skipping the bar scene (I honestly did anthropology homework at a bar one night - very interesting culture to record).  It was amazing...and kind of disgusting.  I got to watch the Brewer's lose (not good) and listen to The Brothers Quinn play (my friend is even better than I thought he was - and I thought he was pretty awesome to start with).  One of the guys who was friends with the band decided to sneak up on me when my friend (the singer/fiddle player's girlfriend) went to the bathroom.  Ugh - it was kind of painful.  Since when are wangsters hipsters who like fold music.  Anyways, he decided to come chat me up.  This included leaning in close to shout over the music.  I was blasted by the lovely bouquet of cigarettes and alcohol.  Everything else he said was lost in the din of The Brothers Quinn and then my friend returned and he kind of scampered away.   He returned later while the band was on a break and talked about being Turkish ('I get really dark if you put me in the sun, I got a lot of gypsy in me too'), being adventurous and gypsy like ('most people go on a vacation to Florida for a while, I stayed for 2 years....was kind of a beach bum, didn't care if I had to sleep on the beach'), and the rest was mostly just blather.  I give him credit, he tried really hard to get my attention.  I just can't handle a wangster.  There was a rather cute nerdy guy that looked like a cross between Josh Hutcherson and Weezer (Rivers Cuomo); however, he looked so drunk - his eyes were barely open.  He did make an attempt to come over by me but got blocked by this girl's husband, so he just sort of stood around by us awkwardly.  Poor guy.

Do you blame me?  Look at that formal wear...I mean face!
The next morning I got up and cleaned my car up.  I washed it for the first time this summer.  It is kind of pointless to wash it since my parking spot at work is under a tree that drops nuts.  So I always have twigs, nuts, squirrel prints, and all the bird droppings you could ever desire plastered across my car.  The inside really needed a good clean out too.  I think it's mostly been vacuumed when I get my oil changed and the boys there do it for me!  Yay!  Anyways, after cleaning my car, I went to the Yappy Hour that was happening downtown.  The event planner was dropping off fliers and had mentioned that the band for the event had dropped out last minute.  I gave her my friend's number and ta da - band for yappy hour.  My table won a door prize and the 50/50 raffle.  All of the money raised by the event goes to Shelter from the Storm.  It is an organization that helps animals with special needs.  They fix up the animals and then find homes for them.  They also are really adamant about spaying and neutering your pets.  They also do check ups and just about anything to help the animals.  They are a really great organization that I'm really glad to help out with, even if it is buy brats and a bottle of wine.  The have this English bulldog puppy that I am just dying to have - I hear they also got a couple pit bulls in that have really bad mange. Poor puppies!  The rest of the night was spent playing Just Dance and then watching I'm Reed Fish.  It was actually pretty cute and quite apropos.

 
I want to talk a little bit about The Hunger Games.  I read all of the books this last week in a matter of days (yes, I did that while working 9+ hour days).  I couldn't stop.  I watched the movie to finally see what everyone was so jazzed about - yup, I got hooked.  I am a little disappointed in a few things, but, again, I am a person that takes the movie and the book separately.  I get that there are limitations to a movie - we don't get all that is going on inside of Katniss's head.  That takes away major chunks of the story.  I think they did a good job with what they had to work with - a phenomenal novel that nothing but the book(s) and an imagination are going to be able fully complete to one's every desire.  I do have to say "whoops" for whoever handled Katniss's head wound in the arena.  Trust me, I saw a toddler take a digger on a driveway and a tiny cut on his head bled like crazy!!!!!!  That giant gash on her head would have been GUSHING, not a nice little bit for Peeta to swirl around on her forehead while having intense eye contact (not quite the ideal substitute for the first time when Katniss realizes she kind of likes the things Peeta's got to offer...mmmmmmmhmmmmmmmmmmmm).  I really like the cast of the movies, I feel slightly pervy/pedifile-ish/cougarish for thinking Josh Hutcherson is cute.  He will be turning 20 five days before I turn 25. Oh well, I guess it is like when I watch the Sandlot now and realize it is a little weird for me to get girlish giggles over Benny. You know what I mean - all girls from the 90s get it.  Jennifer Lawrence is phenomenal and outrageously gorgeous.  Liam Hensworth is really gorgeous as well, which makes every girl swoon and wish that they could be Katniss and run off with Gale.  I think they did a great job playing characters that mean so much to a lot of people.  Clark Gable was afraid to play Rhett Butler because he was so afraid of not living up to the expectations of Rhett Butler and all of Gone with the Wind's adoring fans.    Speaking of The Hunger Games, while I was painting a Scottish thistle on my tea tray, I heard my brother and his friends next door playing "The Hunger Games."  Maybe when they are a little older, they'll get it.  Then again, I was always playing Power Rangers.  Hmmm.

3 comments:

  1. You feel like a pedophile? I'm 28 & I thought he was gorgeous. However, if his personality isn't Peeta's then I'm out. I'm in love with Peeta (who isn't?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too True - that is one fictional character I'd like to marry...but then again, I think Rhett might beat him at the ficticious fictional boyfriends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just found out that there is a word for people who love Peeta: Peetaphile. LOLS!!

      Delete