Monday, November 7, 2011

Resistance to the Assassin's Accomplice

Boy - I have been bad about posting. My Internet has been a little iffy lately, so...still no excuse. 

This weekend I watched Brigadoon.  It was fantastic.  It still makes me want to have a day where I just randomly burst into song an dance. Gene Kelly is so fantastic!  Get it, watch it.  That is all I can say.

I finished reading The Assassin's Accomplice, Resistance, and I started (and am almost finished with) Hatchet.

The Assassin's Accomplice by Kate Clifford Larson was really interesting.  It is definitely a burst to the bubble if, like me, you watched The Conspirator and loved it.  The "real" story is quite a bit different and Mary Surrat is more guilty than she appears in the movie.  The movie version definitely takes on the Southern sympathizer/sympathizers to the female state. It was really interesting hearing all the details, conspiracies, and rumors about the trial and the conspirators. 

Resistance by Agnes Humbert was an interesting story of French resistance during WWII.  Agnes was very involved in organizing one of the first resistance groups in Paris and in creating links.  She took the group from merely writing a resistance newspaper to smuggling documents (like maps).  She was a very strong woman that lasted 4 years in prison for her workings in the resistance movement.  She spent a year in French prison and then was deported to Germany to a labor camp.  The vicious work was horrible on the eyes and hands.  The cruelty of the guards was also a hardship to deal with - thirst can drive people to the brink!  I liked the book and her triumph through resistance, but she annoyed with me by stating about a man on the bus: "There will not be room for that kind of person in the "new France."  It made me angry because what was separating her from the Nazis she so adamantly was protesting against.

I loved the book Hatchet by Gary Paulsen when I was younger.   I'm not quite finished!  So I'm off to finish reading it!

No comments:

Post a Comment