Monday, September 7, 2015

Far From the Maddening Movie Crowd

I LOVE FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD...the book, by Thomas Hardy.  I really, really love that book. It's not really the story that I love so much (I mean, it's a good story), but I love the beautiful descriptions that Thomas Hardy weaves into the story.  I still vividly remember the description he gave of Fanny's grave and the way the water from the gargoyle dripped on it (it's been several years, so hopefully I didn't make that all up in my mind).  It's so weird, I never really liked Tess of the D'Urbervilles, which is also by Thomas Hardy.

Anyways, I'll stop waxing poetic about Thomas Hardy and the book version of Far From the Madding Crowd.  I just finished watching the movie. And I quite enjoyed it.  I did feel that it tried pulling a "Pride and Prejudice" moment at one point (it was a good scene in the recent Pride and Prejudice, so why not try it here, right). I went in determined to be disappointed and came up surprisingly happy with the film.  Carey Mulligan and Matthias Schoenaerts did a really good job as Bathsheba and Gabriel. 


"Pride and Prejudice" moment

The movie is about Farmer Oak and Bathsheba Everdene.  They both have changes in station, wealth, and position throughout their lives.  They learn how to navigate farming, living, and loving.  I really don't want to give away too much about the story.  It's an amazing storyline that has twists and turns and ups and downs.  The movie is great, but as I said, nothing compares to the amazing descriptions that Thomas Hardy has in the novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment