Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Columbus the Killer

I am sorry for everyone on Columbus day getting off on bashing Columbus.  He was a dick that did some horrible things - and Americans continued to do shitey things to the natives of the Americas; however, why is Columbus the only explorer/conqueror that we bash?  We praise the Roman Empire and their might, we call Alexander "the Great" because of his conquering half the known world!  Genghis Khan was a pretty horrible guy - he liked to have people torn apart!  I think one of my favorite lines from Buffy the Vampire Slayer is: "I came, I saw, I conquered, and I feel really bad about it." He did some horrible things, but he also opened up a whole new world to everyone! Besides, if it wasn't him, it would just be some other poor schmuck who'd had the vision and bravery to attempt to sail to the edge of the world to find the sea route to India. 


I was having a discussion with a business consultant the other day and I find it amazing how dumb the government finds us.  I can't decide to quit a health treatment plan (like chemo, dialysis, taking a prescription, etc.).  According to the law - the patient is stupid and as the doctor or the doctor's staff, I am required by law to "educate them."  If they refuse after being educated, the doctor must legally release them from care.  If I don't take all of my prescription and I get sick again, it can be held against the doctor or their staff.   When did the freedom for me to do whatever I want with my body change in the land of the free?  If my choice does not match set notions of the correct treatment...I am stupid and need to be educated.

No comments:

Post a Comment