Sunday, October 16, 2011

Pride, Prejudice, and Zombies!

I'm quite excited right now!  I just bought the stuff for my Halloween costume!   I'm going to go as a Jane Austen zombie. Why not?!?  I've only been hooked on Jane Austen stuff for the last couple of weeks. 

This weekend I watched Mansfield Park.  It had both Jonny Lee Miller and James Purefoy.  I was slightly disappointed that you hardly ever get to see James's face!  He looks much different with sideburns and without the suit of armor. Mansfield Park is about Fanny Price.  She is taken in by her more well off aunts at a young age - taken in at Mansfield Park.  She has a flare for telling stories and is constantly writing to her little sister Susie about the things she's learned, the news of the family, and all the stories that pop into her head. When Fanny has matured, Mr. Crawford and his sister move into the parsonage and begins to take notice of Fanny.  She finds him disingenuous and still has her heart set on the one man she has loved all her life: Edmund.  Edmund though, has begun to take notice of Miss. Crawford and can see her as "the only woman he could ever think to call wife."  Fanny is sent back to her family upon her continued refusal to marry Mr. Crawford. She is called back to help heal Tom, the eldest son at Mansfield Park.  Drama ensues, as it always does, and things turn out as they should be.    I think if I ever get a horse, I shall name it Shakespeare!  It was a great movie, but then again, BBC always treats Austen very well.

I also watched Byron.  What a horrible movie to watch...unless you feel like being horribly depressed.  Poor messed up guy.  I can't help to pity him, despite also wanting to vomit at the thought of some of the things he did.  Byron tells the life of Lord Byron and it was crazy: he was a molested child that grew up to be sexually confused and promiscuous in every possible way...including sleeping with and falling in love with his half-sister.   



I played Stardust for my sister last night after we finished re-arranging my living room.  She ended up loving it as much as I did.  Tristan, a young man trying to find his place in the world sets off an a mission to collect a star for his beloved.  He is surprised when the star turns out to be an actual woman.  He sets off on a quest not only to bring her back to his precious and fickle Victoria (in order to keep her from marrying another) but to save her from the witches chasing her for her heart.  They run into the Princes searching for a diamond to restore to the ruby that will bring one of them the throne and sky pirates.  The pirates end up helping them.  Twists and turns occur and all ends well.  I especially love what happens to Victoria!

No comments:

Post a Comment