Sunday, October 2, 2011

Better Get Your Gun

I was pleasantly enjoying watching the Masterpiece Theatre's version of Emma this afternoon. I left to go grab my clean laundry upstairs and bring it down to fold - AND IT WAS GONE! There was some weird movie on with Buffalo Bill and a creepy, dirty lady with a gun. Turns out, it was Annie Get Your Gun. I stopped to watch it, hoping maybe PBS had made a mistake and would switch back to Emma at any moment. Oh, Mr. Knightley! SO CLOSE! Anyways, I recognized several of the songs and continued to watch. I was also too busy being dazzled by the lyrics - rhyming - smittin', sittin', knittin', and kitten. And -
"But a man never trifles
With gals who carry rifles
Oh you can't get a man with a gun."
It was actually a pretty good movie - if you get over the fact that Annie is pretty much a complete basket case.


I also watched The Timekeeper. It is a rather intense movie. It is kind of weird and a lot gory. I never really expected to see a man take buckshot to the face and continue to gurgle on many hours after being shot. It follows a young man that is now penniless after his father's death. He goes to a railroad camp in the middle of no where Alaska/Canada to be the recorder of worked hours. He's an honest man, so he runs into some trouble with the not so honest foreman. Him and "the wild ones" develop a plan....
I watched this French film a few weeks ago entitled: 400 Blows. It is an interesting movie about the life of a young boy in Paris in the 1950s? He gets in trouble at school and with his parents. He ends up getting shipped to a reform school of sorts. The boy is really smart and savvy. I had just one issue with the movie. He looks at something off camera and has this inexplicable expression on his face - I want to know what he saw! It's probably like what Scarlett Johansson whispers to Bill Murray in Lost in Translation; forever lost to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment