Monday, October 29, 2012

Daughter of Fortune

I am like 3/4 of the way done with our book club book.  I am really enjoying this book.  When I picked up the book, I had no idea that it had been translated from Spanish to English.  I find the story line very interesting.  It jumps around quite a bit, but I really like the way that the story seems to all tie together.  The book is Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende.  Eliza is the adopted daughter of a family of British colonists in Chile; Rose, Jeremy, and John Sommers.  She is raised with all the privilege of the wealthy, European elite located in Chile.  She also benefits from being connected to the locals of Chile through her caretaker, Mama Fresia.  Eliza has a  special gift of scent.  She can detect the scents of ingredients in recipes, making her a great chef and baker.  She can also identify people and locations by their scent.  Eliza falls in love with a poor Chilean man who get struck with Gold Fever and she is desperate to follow him to the California gold mines.  A Chinese healer helps her to California and Eliza's journey into the wild and free land of California begins.  As stated, I am really enjoying the story.  I am a little worried that I won't have it finished by book club; however, by all indications, I may be the only one at book club that has gotten close to the end.  Well, off to hit the pages a little more before sleep.

2 comments:

  1. AHHH! I read this book a few years ago & couldn't put it down. It was so good. She marries the Chinese guy & lives a lovely life. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WAY TO SPOIL IT!!!!!!!!!!!!! GAH! Now there is no point in finishing it >.<

      Delete