Monday, October 1, 2012

Not My Fault

So I am just going to preface this with an: It's not my fault!!

Really, it isn't!  I share my internet with my neighbor and the thingy that projects the signal got loosened from the cable (yes, be in awe at the incredible use of my geeky and oh so technically accurate vocab). I asked her about it the other night - and now, we are back in the game.  So here is what I have written and stored up for you since the internet blackout. So since this is going to be long, I hope I can at least entertain you for a bit.

Wednesday:
Oh yes - I just watched the newest episode of Criminal Minds.  I am also really excited to watch Elementary tomorrow.  I love Johnny Lee Miller.  I think I might even stay up and watch him on Dave Letterman tonight. You know what I really, really love?  I LOVE Dr. Reid's hair.  It changes every season!   Long, short, sort of emo - back and forth. Matthew Gray Gubler is just adorable!  I also love Penelope.  She just makes my day.


I have a little bit of a beef with our medical industry.  Even alternative medicine falls into the same pitfalls as "regular" doctors.  My boss went to a seminar on sports nutrition this last weekend.  It was put on by a vitamin company.  Let's just say, it was more of a long commercial for their products, not actual  nutrition.  As I pointed out to him on Monday, "Shouldn't a nutrition class teach you something about what you should and shouldn't eat for your best athletic performances, not what pills you should pop."  What is our world coming to?  Is our future really just going to be pill popping for all of our nutritional needs?  Personally, I like food.  I'm pretty sure there are other foodies (ones that like healthy, yummy foods) out there that wish more people would learn about food nutrition and not just which combo of pills will get you where you want to go.  It kind of blurs the line between what pills are acceptable to take and not (steroids/growth hormones).

Tonight I got into a lively discussion about all of my world travels because someone asked if I had ever been to England when they saw me wearing my new England shirt.  I miss travel, I miss all the wonderful things living in a different place can bring.  I feel a bit stagnant where I am now.  While I am contemplating what it is I want to do with my life, I do know that I want it to be something I can do from anywhere in the world.  So I can take French lessons and explore museums and quais or hike "a freakin' mountain" (Old Man of Storr) or do something that makes me grow and expands my mind.  I miss it all so much.  The sucky thing is, that lifestyle isn't really conducive for family.  I miss my family so much when I am away.  I'll need to come up with a plan that makes sure they can come with me wherever I go - my entourage. My sister is looking forward to my 25th birthday about as much as I am.  Last night she let slip that she was going to be all alone when I turn 25.  My other friend who was there said, "she's still the same distance away from you in age as she was last year.  Nothing has changed that way."  And my sister responded with, "Yeah, but she'll turn 25 and then leave, and I'll be all alone again."  Great!

Well, my internet seems to be down again.  I seem to breath wrong and it disconnects.  Then it connects for about as long as it takes me to double click...and the it's gone.  Hopefully I'll get this up sometime tonight. *See, I didn't lie*

Thursday:
Today, I got relationship advice from a 10 year old.  After asking my age and my relationship status (both as boyfriend and husband), I was informed that I needed someone.  Both my coworker and I said that I didn't need anyone to make me any better.  I said I was pretty awesome and I like my own company well enough.  That response was met with: "Well, you need to find someone awesome to be awesome with."  I guess that is now my goal: find someone to be awesome with.  Got it,  I'll just pick that person out of a catalogue (thanks Paris) or the next person to walk in the door (hey, it worked for Stephanie in Grease 2!).
I'm a little worried about myself physically for my week in Puerto Rico.  I'm worried about biking and all that yoga, not to mention the paddle boarding and surfing.  I've gotten out of working out every day and right now, I'm more worried about getting rid of this cold in time.  Ick, I feel more like crawling into my bed than onto a yoga mat or the dance floor.


Sunday:
I watched the WEIRDEST movie with my sister after the homecoming game (surprise, our team lost).  The movie was called Damsels in Distress.  The movie is funny and off beat, but not really leaving you wanting to watch it again.  The weird cropping of the movie gave the story a bit of a jerky feel.  It seemed to not have any continuity.  The fashion was very interesting.  I liked a lot of the dresses; however, the neckerchiefs creeped me out.  I like scarves and those little kerchiefs look like a valley girl fashion imitation of an old west bandit.  Just bad.  Anyways, back to the movie.  There are a set of girls that find a new girl in the halls of their campus.  They take her in and she joins their band of weirdness.  They run the suicide prevention center - tap dancing is their favorite form of therapy.  Violet, the main character goes from being the head of the suicide prevention group to needing their help when she heads into a "tail spin."  Coming out of her tail spin by smelling this wonderful soap, she finds comfort in the wackiness of her peers and is further driven to start a dance craze.  It is her biggest goal in life to start a dance craze.  Love, dancing, and good smells are all things that bring depressed people away from the ledge.  I do have to say, I could be one of Violet's band of weirdos.  She has a friend who went to England and came back claiming to be British - she adopted a British accent that she refuses to drop.  If I could pull off a Scottish accent as well as I can a British and Irish one, I'd be ALL over it.  I'd say the movie is definitely worth a watch.  Maybe two if you need a second viewing after spending the first time through scratching your head.


Tonight:
I have a new appreciation for Wuthering Heights.  I never, EVER, liked the book.  I do understand it a little better than I did before.  Thanks Masterpiece Theater and Thomas Hardy.   I see why it is such a classic - it was practically the 50 Shades of Grey of it's time.  Umm, cheating, secret meetings, pining for someone you can't have, greed, pride, drunken debauchery - what more could shake up a rather stiff society.  Especially from a parson's daughter.  Weren't they supposed to not know what any of that was?   I think Thomas Hardy did a really good job of making Heathcliff a great anti-hero.  Holy crap is he good.  At times I hated him, others I wanted to hug him.  Sometimes I just wanted to smack him and say: "both of you just get over your big egos and love each other.  I don't know, maybe telling each other the truth for once might help not make you so miserable."  This rendition of the book was very well done; however, it didn't make me want to read the book again.  Sorry, that book is just too much crap to bother reading again. 


I also finished The Coral Thief today. Daniel Conner, a young medical student has been given some important specimens and a letter of recommendation from his professor.  This takes him from Edinburgh to the thriving intellectual hub of post-Napoleonic Paris.  On the way to Paris, Daniel meets a charming, intelligent, intriguing, and very mysterious woman with a child.  He feels comfortable with her and is persuaded to try and get a few moments of rest on the mail coach.  When he wakes, he finds that his specimens (a piece of coral and a mammoth bone) along with his letter of introduction have been taken by this dark lady.  Upon arrival in Paris, he begins a journey far different from the one he had originally planned.  He goes to the police in Paris to report his stolen goods and pleads illness to explain his absence to the great scientist he is supposed to be assisting in the Jardin des Plantes.  Little did he know that the chance meeting with that woman and her small child in the mail coach would change his life so profoundly.  Daniel finds himself drawn into the lives of the woman and the child; he must help them in their attempt to be free.


I was so excited to read this book based on the description.  Not so excited by the actual book.  Like a movie trailer, all of the interesting parts were in the description.  It had so much potential: love, crime, mystery, Paris, and young men from Edinburgh.  The book just fell flat.  Daniel Conner talked about himself in third person from time to time, which sort of makes since because he's talking about the "Daniel Conner" that was before this great life changing event.  I knew from the description that there would be something between the thief and Daniel, so that wasn't all that surprising.  I'm also a little concerned because he seemed to be aroused by almost any and everything.  Is that really what goes on in a man's mind? I'll just say, don't bother with this predictable and boring book.

No comments:

Post a Comment