Sunday, October 7, 2012

Five Years and A Set of Mittens

Ugh, sometimes there aren't enough hours in the day.  It's super cold too.  Why did it have to go from the 70s to the 50s in one day?  I like gradual temperature shift.  It always seems so much harder to get out of bed in the morning when it is cold.

I helped my friend move into her new place yesterday.  After we finished watching her unpack her massive amounts of clothes, we watched The Five Year Engagement.  I really like Jason Segel and Emily Blunt and they were great together in this movie.  The couple, Violet and Tom, get engaged after a year and are beginning to plan their wedding.  Tom is a big chef in San Francisco and Violet is a grad student.  In the middle of their plans, she gets accepted at a university in Michigan. Tom gives up his very good job to follow her to Michigan.  There, he finds a crap job in a deli and some really weird friends.  A lot of strain is put on their relationship and the wedding date keeps getting pushed back.


I think what interested me most about the movie was Midwest perceptions.  Deer hunting doesn't happen right after New Years and you can't just wear your sweater.  You need blaze orange on to go out and kill Bambi.  Those deer they shot were the most ridiculous looking things I have ever seen.  And the way he put the deer IN his car. Wow.  The seasons were all really weird as well.  They changed very quickly and sometimes there was snow, then it was gone, then it was back - and it wasn't showing time change.  Case in point, before New Years party, snow, at said party, no snow, walking home after party, snow.  It's just mind boggling.  Tom grows the weirdest mutton chop lookin things on his face - I haven't seen too many people with crazy facial hair in this area.  I can't really speak for Michigan since I haven't really been there.  We are also apparently in a battle to decide who really has the mitten state. 

No comments:

Post a Comment