Wednesday, August 22, 2018

Puerto Rico Rises

So I did a slightly crazy thing a few weeks ago. It was something on my mind and my heart for a while, but I was always slightly worried about what would people think of me saying this. I finally got over it and created a fund raiser for Puerto Rico.

Almost a year after Maria, Puerto Rico is still struggling. The debt crisis and the storm have forced many people to leave their homes. The main issue with damaged infrastructure, is you need money to repair it. Puerto Rico's debts being called to account leave it little to no money to put into repairing and rebuilding damaged roads, bridges, and buildings.

The island is full of amazing people with big hearts. If they can pull together to help each other recover after the storm, I think the whole country (maybe even the world) can join together to lift Puerto Rico from debt. Where the government won't help, we the people need to step up and take action.

I know the figures are astronomical, but lots of small actions by many can add up quickly. Think about donating that jar of spare change, a fiver, 10% of one paycheck; any amount can help alleviate what Puerto Rico owes. You can donate here and I will forward the funds on, or you can donate directly to the government. You must specify it as a debt payoff. I know it seems weird to attempt to payoff government's debt, but it is possible. Take a look at this article, it explains how it works.

Lastly, I suppose you want to know why I want to pay off Puerto Rican debts. I'm just a girl who visited the island and fell in love; with the culture, people, and island itself.

If you'd like to help too, you can donate here.

No comments:

Post a Comment