Tuesday, March 15, 2011

BEWARE THE IDES OF MARCH

Ok, today wasn't all that scary!

So Tuesday is testy Tuesday and I'll tell you it has no correlation to PMS, mood swings, or being a “moody” girl. Frankly, I think men suffer from IMS more periodically than women experience PMS… Anyways, testy Tuesday is going to be me trying new things.

This Tuesday I decided to make an ice cream cake for my dad’s birthday. My mom came up with the idea of the cake – I executed the plan. My dad really enjoys butter pecan ice cream, so this of course is the focus of his cake. It take two 1.75 quart boxes of butter pecan ice cream, 1 small jar of caramel sauce, a bag of Heath chips, and a bag of lady fingers. To start I set the ice cream out to let it get soft. While I was letting the ice cream soften I cut enough lady fingers in half to line the edge of the spring form pan and the rest I stuck them in a bag and took my frustrations out on (I smashed it with a rolling pin). I then placed the crumbs in the bottom of the pan and lined the edge with the lady fingers. After the crust was set up, I placed on of the tubes of ice cream into a big bowl. Some of it will be mushy and the rest used a little old school action. If you were a child like me and my siblings, you probably had boring vanilla when you wanted chocolate ice cream. Inventive us – we created a way to create chocolate with some chocolate sauce and elbow grease – aka: you get a spoon and swirl the ice cream around really fast. This will soften the ice cream enough for it to be plopped into the pan. It takes a gentle touch at this point because the crushed lady fingers on the bottom will want to move around. I placed the ice cream on top and push down and out towards the edge with a spatula. After that was leveled out I pour some of the caramel sauce on top and a couple handfuls of Heath chips. After that I took about 1/4 to a 1/3 of the second tub of ice cream and placed that on top of the caramel and Heath chips. After the ice cream layer came another drizzle of caramel and handfuls of Heath chips before placing it into the freezer to harden up before it gets served!



I am anxious to taste this cake since my dad’s birthday isn’t until the 17th and my siblings ate up all the leftover butter pecan ice cream before I could get a taste! I’ll let you know how it tastes and I hope you get the chance to try this cake as well. This is so simple and yet looks so amazing (and like you put a lot of time into it!).

I'll add more pics soon...hopefully of this cake being enjoyed!

No comments:

Post a Comment