Tuesday, March 29, 2011

"Just Whistle While You Work"

Let's Bring Back author Lesley M. M. Blume ponders why whistling has gone out of style. I highly agree with her!
My grandpa sits around and whistles and I find it oddly comforting. There are all those creepy instances of whistling - walking down a dark alley/sidewalk (this is Wisconsin...not too many allies) and you can hear someone whistling but you just can't see them and this only leads to heart pounding fear! However, whistling can be quite pleasant, especially in songs or if you are doing a solitary task. It's sad - but I sometimes find myself whistling "while I work" ... and a lot of singing of Snow White songs.I already mentioned on Sunday's post about how much I loved Bing Crosby's whistle, but now there is another man in my life with a whistle to make my knees weak! Marcus Mumford can WHISTLE! Marcus is 1/4 of one of my favorite bands, Mumford and Sons. It is kind of sad that he hasn't (as of yet) whistled in any of his own bands songs; however, I first got a glimpse of this whistle in The Water alongside Johnny Flynn (another dreamy Renaissance man). My friend honestly thought I had lost it when I told her how gorgeous I thought his whistling was...needless to say, I still think it is a sexy quality! Plus, whistling is just plain FUN. You can be as creative as you want while whistling or just whistle any old tune you know. And if you can't whistle, just try try again! I know it sounds stupid, but it seriously works. You can practice getting your mouth into a shape that allows for a tune producing blast - the mirror trick really helps with any talent mouth related - you can ask my grandma about how many times my bubble gum got stuck to her mirror while I was trying to master that skill as a child :D So next time you are alone and want to give this jolly blast from the past a chance - just purse those lips and let your inner composer out!

No comments:

Post a Comment