Sunday, August 21, 2011

Wow - that sucked


So One Day - that movie that I REALLY wanted to see...with Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess (two people I LOVE) - DO NOT WATCH THIS MOVIE ON A GIRLS WEEKEND...unless you want your weekend to go from fun to absolutely depressing. It was fun - we went at 10 in the morning and there was only one other person in the theater...a man. But we giggled and had fun and put our feet up on the rail; that was until DEPRESSION comes at you like a lorrie from the right. Bloody lorries! It made me miss Edinburgh and Paris quite a bit to add to the depression factor. I do have to say though, Anne Hathaway's Scottish accent was pretty horrible! There were flashes of it being Scottish and then it was just kind of "sorta Englishy."
Anyway - the story is of two people Dexter (Jim Sturgess) and Emma (Anne Hathaway). They meet up again on graduation night, almost "do it," end up deciding to not "do it" and just be friends. The following day is St. Swithun's Day and from that day on, July 15 is a day where they usually meet up again in some way or another. It follows them from 1988 to 2011 and there friendship goes from good to great, to not so hot, to dead, to rekindled and so on. There friendship with each other makes them. One of the characters says to Dexter: "She made you decent and in return you made her so happy."
It was a fantastic movie, just horribly depressing and not fitting a celebratory weekend. This is a - I want to sit down and bawl my eyes out kind of movie. Go prepared with lot of tissues and waterproof mascara! I don't know if I can bring myself to read the book now, despite the fact that I am on the holds list for it at the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment