Monday, June 6, 2011

Be Daring

I recently listened to The Daring Book for Girls by Andrea J. Buchanan and Miriam Peskowitz. It is a girl's guide to being a girl, going out and exploring, building things, educating yourself and learning about other powerful and influential women. I thought it was interesting to learn that Julia Child helped invent shark repellent to keep sharks from setting off anti-sub bombs and the lady, Bette Claire Graham, who invented liquid paper (better known as white out) - her son was in The Monkees. I liked that it encouraged girls to get out and do things that build relationships, confidence, and an imagination. This is a really great book and I am recommending it to my little sister as a summer read! The book also has a sequel and an interesting web page resource that is linked through the title at the top.

No comments:

Post a Comment