Sunday, June 19, 2011

Wildflower

I used to watch this movie called Wildflower when I was younger. I think it was a Lifetime movie, but I used to LOVE LOVE LOVE IT! After watching it yesterday, I can see why I loved it and why I didn't see some of the crappy parts of it. When I was like 4 or 5, I probably didn't care that much about plot or THE ENDING! The ending just happens. It comes out of nowhere and bam - the end. The movie literally hits the turning point and less than 30 seconds later, it is ending. I do like Reese Witherspoon and Patricia Arquette in this movie. I think Patricia Arquette does a phenomenal job with her character and the portrayal of an abused life. I most also admit, Beau Bridges is way better than his brother. Heck, you can actually figure out the words comin' out of his mouth! Now, I like William McNamara, the guy who plays Sammy, but I would have thought he dropped off the face of the planet after this movie. Turns out he's been working ever since, I just don't recognize a single thing he's been in; there is Law and Order, so I know of that...but he was also in a Jerry Springer movie! I didn't even know Jerry Springer had a movie!


Anyways - the movie follows Sammy (William McNamara) and Ellie (Reese Witherspoon), a set of siblings during the 1930s. There mother is dead and they live with their illiterate, grief stricken father (Beau Bridges). Sammy is desperate to go to college and his father doesn't think he needs "all that book learnin'". Ellie is a curious Tom Boy that ends up finding out what the "ghost" is up at the Guthrie farm. To her amazement, she finds a hearing impaired girl named Alice (Patricia Arquette). Ellie and Sammy end up taking Alice into their care - they teach her how to bathe, to memorize a poem, how to escape the shed her abusive step-father locks her in. They give Alice a safe haven and end up changing her life.

No comments:

Post a Comment