Monday, July 25, 2011

Do you have any idea how much water that would be?

I have started reading Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen. It's the story of an older man reliving his time in the circus. Jacob, now between 90 and 93 (he can't decide how old he really is), starts thinking on his life as a young man when a circus suddenly pops up just outside of his nursing home. He was in an Ivy League school for veterinarian medicine; however, a terrible accident leaves him all alone in the world and without a cent to his name. He somehow finds himself aboard a circus train one night and ends up staying on as the circus vet. His life gets tangled up with August and Marlena and Rosie. Life is one great big adventure on the circus!


I am really liking this book. Some of the graphic details could have been left out. And I really didn't need to know what an 8 pager was or who some of the characters in those might be; I'll never look at Popeye or Olive Oyl the same! The back and forth between the present and the past has always been a favorite format to read. I love the history and all the details of the entertainment of the past. Circuses now days are a whole lot more depressing to go to. I am anxious to finish the book. I have a little bit left to read, but I was really busy with the conference this weekend. I'd try to get a chapter in every night before bed, but I was and still am exhausted from this weekend. Who knew sitting so much could make you so sore and tired!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment