Monday, April 25, 2011

Error

I haven't actually read a single book this last week. I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off too much to get a book - even an audio book read this week. I had a really great Easter with my family and chasing my little nephew around - he is actually starting to walk large distances without any help! I am working on several books and as soon as I finish with this and getting ready for bed - I'm curling up with a good book.


I can tell you I am severely disappointed in the teachers at my siblings school. I had to go up and help my sister find an example of onomonopia in one of her books for school. Her assignment was to find an example of several literary techniques and then give the literal and figurative meanings of the examples she had found. The teacher sent home a packet that gave examples of the literary techniques and then what a literal and figurative meaning was - this is one of the examples...
Figurative: My dad is a strong, reliable man.
Literal: My dad is rock hard mineral material.
I scanned the rest of the examples and all the "literal" examples were the figurative and all the "figurative" examples were the literal ones. Are you kidding me? Did you get a degree?!?!? I know that everyone can't be always running at full capacity, but really? You are a teacher - educating the young minds of America and you can't get your head out of your butt to check what you are teaching them? Can you not tell the difference between LITERAL and FIGURATIVE? It makes me sick - education not only is beginning to suck at the lower levels, but anyone can get into college today. If you are outgoing enough and have enough money - hello college and sometimes, even grad school. I have met the dumbest people who are studying education and I swear I rather educate my own children or rip out my own ovaries so they cannot teach my children because otherwise my kids will be coming home saying "My dad is literally a rock!" Sure - if you are using the literary technique of hyperbole. I want to bash my head into the walls!

No comments:

Post a Comment