Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Chicken and Chutney

I tried out a new recipe the other day! It was absolutely amazing. It was so delicious and tasty - not to mention it is a healthy choice. This of course made it absolutely disgusting to every one except my mother and I. I made Walnut-Crusted Chicken Breasts with Apple Chutney which I got off of Shape.com's recipe finder. It seems like a complicated recipe, but it is actually really simple and quick.

If you set up an assembly line of the flour, egg whites, and walnut/bread crumb mixture - it goes really quickly. After you dip the chicken breasts you just have to place them onto the baking tray and stick them in the oven. The Chutney you can make while the chicken bakes in the oven and pop the rice in the microwave at the same time.
The Chutney is just throwing the ingredients into a pot, letting boiling on a medium heat and then setting it on a low setting to let it simmer for about 10 minutes. The recipe says you can mash the apples up when they are softened - I did and I thought it was really good.
I made cous cous instead of rice - and the packs of cous cous only take about 10 minutes to make. All I had to do what add oil and water to the spice packs, microwave that for 5 minutes and then add the cous cous and cover to let sit for 5 more minutes. After the cous cous has absorbed the liquidy goodness, you just "fluff" with a fork (aka - you mix it up).

I hate to say that I did not get any pictures of the food before it got devoured! We had put off dinner until late because my sister had soccer practice. I thought that this recipe was worth a repeat! The chutney tastes amazing on top of the walnut-crusted chicken breasts and even thought I like cous cous - I didn't think the flavor I got (Mediterranean) went well with it. I might try this recipe again with rice instead of a flavored grain. I hope that you try this recipe as well. It was filling and only about 489 calories for the whole shabang.

No comments:

Post a Comment